• Gifts of Cash: The CARES Act allows taxpayers who take the standard deduction to make up to $300 of charitable contributions to qualified charities. Itemizers can deduct up to 100% of adjusted gross income. As of now, this only applies to 2020.
• Stock or Securities: Make a gift of stock or securities to Agassiz Village and avoid capital gains tax on the appreciation of your stock. Please call Lisa Carter, Executive Director, at 781-860-0200 ext.1006 to make your stock gift.
• Individual Retirement Account: If you or a family member are 70½ or older with an individual retirement account (IRA), you can make a tax-free gift to Agassiz Village directly from your IRA. This is called a qualified charitable distribution. Through the SECURE Act you can transfer any amount up to $100,000 per year directly to a qualified charitable organization without paying income tax on the distribution.
• Donor-Advised Funds: Give through your donor-advised fund to maximize your impact. Your fund sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
Here abounds the health and happiness of growing things.
Here are built sound roads from adolescence to adulthood, from the individual to society.
This is ...
- Harry E. Burroughs, Founder
Agassiz Village was founded in 1935 at its present lakeside location in Poland Maine by Mr. & Mrs. Harry E. Burroughs. Then, as now, Agassiz gave children the opportunity to escape the hardship of their daily lives. Originally the camp served boys who worked as newsboys, bootblacks, or other street vendors. The boys learned basic job skills, practiced school subjects, experienced outdoor living, and developed many life skills.
The camp opened its doors to an adaptive program for physically disabled campers in the late 1950's, and girls joined the camp in 1973 when it became coed. Campers come from all over the New England area to experience this unique program.
Today, Agassiz Village serves nearly 500 children a summer. While we welcome all children ages 8–17, our focus is reaching children in Maine and Massachusetts from under-resourced communities.
- Harry E. Burroughs, Founder
Our mission is to prepare kids for life's journey
We offer children the opportunity, in a summer camp environment, to develop and practice leadership and life skills that will impact their future in education, family, career, and in their communities. Our programs are an investment in the future, to inspire and enable all children, especially those who need our support the most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible leaders.
OUR VISION: Children from Maine to Massachusetts, regardless of economic opportunity, experience Agassiz Village’s joyful, welcoming, and diverse community that inspires and enables them to explore new experiences and create the futures they envision.
OUR VALUES: Have Fun, Collaborate, Explore and Thrive!
Meet the Board
Theresa M. O'Bryant - Board President, General Counsel at MassArt in Boston
Ben Kern - Board Vice President, Partner at PwC
Jonathan Gillim, Board Treasurer, Chief Financial Officer at Randolph
Arnie Stewart, Board Clerk - Managing Director, Committee for Public Counsel Services
Allison Burroughs, Director, U.S. District Judge of the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts
Davis Clayson, Director - Director of Business Strategy at Boston Partners Global Investors
Meg Clough, Director
Ellen Corbett, Director, Realtor, Hillman Homes
Cheryl Dalrymple, Director, Chief People Officer and Head of Corporate Development at Confluent
Che Elwell, Director - AVP, John Hancock Data and Integration Services
Jennifer Ginsburg, Director - District Court Judge
Wendy Horn, Director - Managing Director at Raymond James Financial
Leslie Hoyt, Director - Chief Operating Officer at Naveris
Amanda Karomba, Director - CEO, Happy Haven
Jon Levy - Director, CEO & Founder, American Holt
Nimish Shah, Director - Founder and CEO Tele-Therapeutics
Thomas Thrasher, Director - Owner, Canyon Springs Landscaping
Sean Toland, Director - Vice President of Emerging Investors at Fidelity Investments
Camille is passionate about helping youth. She has much experience working with kids as a preschool teacher. Camille was an Agassiz camper at the age of 8 and has held almost every position at camp from counselor to Village Leader and now Program Director.
Have Fun and
Summer Leadership Staff
Health Center Manager
Lisa has over 20 years of experience working at and leading nonprofit organizations. She joined Agassiz Village in 2020 and wants to give the greatest number of children the amazing opportunity to participate in the fun and formative experience of Agassiz.
Mike has been helping nonprofit summer camps raise needed funds for their missions for over 20 years. He is excited to help Agassiz Village raise the needed operating funds as well as additional funds to support its facilities.
Dan is passionate about supporting kids. He has over 20 years of experience as a teacher in Lowell Public Schools as well
as decades of experience as a summer